You have narrowed down your search of finding the most suitable office chair to these exceptionally built Amia and Think Chair by Steelcase is no less than a blessing. Because of their credibility, quality, reliability and offerings.
But choosing any one of them always becomes complicated for many users when they find them out with almost the same features and minor differences.
Though, you being on this blog post of; “Steelcase Amia vs. Think”, you won’t be left out scratching your head and unable to finalize the chair as per your need.
This Detailed analysis will walk you through the side-by-side comparison of both chairs, along with explaining their pros and cons. Spotting one that goes with your requirements is going to become much easier for you within the next few minutes.
Steelcase Amia Vs Think – Quick Comparison
- The fabric back is not much breathable.
- Tilt lock only at a 90-degree angle.
- Maximum Weight Capacity: 400 pounds
- Style: Modern
- Seat Material Type: Plastic
- Seat Height from Floor: 16″ to 21″
- Seat Depth: 18 ½”
- Seat Width: 19 3/8″
- Seat Pan Adjustment: Yes
- Lumbar support: Yes
- Adjustable Lumbar support: Yes
- Recommended Use: Long-term (Up to 8 hours)
- Recommended User’s Height: 5’0″ to 6’6″
- Highly Customizable
- Not comfortable for smaller people.
- Tilt lock only in an upright position.
- Maximum Weight Capacity: 300 pounds
- Style: Modern
- Seat Material Type: Polyester
- Seat Height from Floor: 16 ½” to 21 ½”
- Seat Depth: 18 ½”
- Seat Width: 20 ¼”
- Seat Pan Adjustment: Yes
- Lumbar support: Yes
- Adjustable Lumbar support: Yes
- Recommended Use: Long-term (Up to 6 hours)
- Recommended User’s Height: 5’1″ to 6’8″
Before we go into the comparison of the important aspects, we would recommend checking out the Quick overview of both chairs to know what they have to offer you (in case, you are not familiar with that). Otherwise, you can jump down to the comparison, as reading it won’t interest you.
Here we go;
Steelcase Think Overview
Steelcase Think is literally a chair that is designed with the brain, as it adjusts itself rightly every time to support your body properly.
Rated as a highly adjustable chair, allows you to adjust the seat height, seat pan, reclining mechanism by tilt lock, and the lumbar support as well. With all these customizations, anyone can personalize the chair’s experience and achieve a greater level of comfort.
Innovative back flexors are also something exceptional, as they make your every move smooth by adjusting themselves with every move of yours.
This aesthetically designed chair with such comfort, intelligence and adjustability can’t be ignored by anyone. And we have also found it one of the great options to consider at this price range.
- Material: Think Steelcase chair is made up of 37% recyclable content and also one of the chairs which are 98% recyclable by weight. Reflecting it to be not the only best chair to consider, but also as one of the environmentally friendly options.
- Weight Activated Mechanism: It figures out by the chair’s intelligence, what kind of support your body is in need of at this time, and then adjusts itself accordingly to avoid discomfort.
- Adjustable: Beating it on adjustability is even hard for many big names, everyone can personalize it and remain comfortable on it for hours.
- Weight limit: The weight limit of Think is also far better than many, as it can hold up to 400 pounds easily. Indirectly, it also speaks a lot about the chair’s durability and sturdy nature.
- Comfort Dial: The chair also features an interesting option to customize the reclining mechanism into 4 different settings, to achieve the comfort that you are craving.
- Warranty: If the weight limit was not enough proof of its durability, then finding it with 10 years of warranty should be. This long warranty reflects the trust of its manufacturer in this product.
- The bad thing about this Steelcase Think is that the reclining angle is only up to 116 degrees from 90 degrees, which is claimed to be not sufficient for many.
- It can’t be comfortable for hours if the user is smaller in size regardless of how many adjustments you have made to this.
Steelcase Amia Overview
Steelcase Amia is the most overlooked chair by Steelcase due to the popularity of its high-end chairs such as Steelcase leap, and gesture. But to your surprise, it also comes with many of the features that you could find only in premium chairs, even for the lower price tag.
You can do multiple adjustments to it, get comfortable for hours and hours, and can get the premium feel without spending tons of money.
One thing that makes it better than the Think chair is our finding that it is comfortable for both smaller and taller individuals, unlike the Think chair which only goes well with taller folks.
- Upholstery: The chair features the fabric or leather Upholstery of the higher quality, which is good enough to give you a premium feel, keep you comfortable and give a mesmerizing touch to your body.
- Seat Edge: The seat edges of the chair are designed in a way that you don’t feel pressure on your thighs even after spending an entire hectic day on it. The seat ensures to reduce the overall pressure while promoting blood circulation.
- Tilt Mechanism: You can recline in the chair to rest for a while when doing office work. It adds more comfort to your body, relaxes your muscle tensions and alleviates the pain from the back by supporting it properly.
- Adjustment: The chair can be adjusted to personalize the experience. Whether it is seat height, armrest, backrest, tilt tension adjustment or a seat depth adjustment, all can be done easily to make the chair supportive to your body type. The feature translates it to be an option that is second to none.
- The fabric upholstery at the back makes it less breathable as compared to the chair having a mesh back.
- The chair can only be reclined up to 126 degrees.
- A tilt lock can only lock the chair at a 90-degree angle.
Steelcase Amia vs. Steelcase Think – Detailed Comparison
When we look at the number of features that contributes to the overall comfort, both of the chairs feel to be exceptional. But the story took a different turn when 2 of our testers comes up with their findings.
The Think chair is not turned out as comfortable as the Amia Chair, regardless of the higher price tag. You can say the comfort of the Think chair is at an average level, where Amia scores exceptionally well and beyond expectations.
The seat cushion of the Think chair seat is firm and supportive, and the Amia chair offers a thicker yet comfortable seat with a comfortable back. Along with that the seat edge of the Amia chair also makes it more comfortable than the Think chair’s seat.
The armrest of the Steelcase Think is also not good enough to accommodate smaller people comfortable. Whereas, there is no such issue with Steelcase Amia armrests at all.
Bear in mind, that we have examined both of them for a long hour sitting of at least 8 – 10 hours. If you are an extensive worker, who spends a lot of time in front of your desk, then getting Steelcase Amia Chair should be your consideration.
After Analyzing both of the chairs for their comfort level, now is the time to look at the adjustability. When accessing the adjustability feature, we narrowed our focus on the seat height, depth, armrest, backrest and tilt mechanism feature.
And we found all these adjustability features in both of the chairs that ensures to have a personalized seating experience. You increase the seat height, and seat depth, adjust arms in 4 dimensions tilt the back to recline.
In the Think chair, you get ½” more space to increase height. Whereas the Amia wins the race in reclining mechanism, as it can be recliner up to 126 degrees, and the Think chair can only go up to 110 degrees.
|Seat Height from Floor||16″ to 21″||16 ½” to 21 ½”|
|Seat Depth||18 ½”||18 ½”|
|Seat Width||19 3/8”||20 ¼”|
|Reclining||90 to 116 Degree||90 to 126 Degree|
There is also one common problem with both chairs that we hate the most. When reclining back you can’t use the tilt lock to lock the chair in a reclining position. Instead, the tilt lock works only at 90 degree upright position to prevent you from reclining.
Moreover, both allow the lumbar support placement adjustability, but not the level of support and the lumbar depth as many of their competitors do.
When you are paying a hefty amount of money, durability becomes an important indicator to look at. Imagine spending a thousand bucks and finding your chair worn out completely after the use of a few months.
You obviously don’t want it to happen!
Therefore, we have tested both of the chairs in terms of durability as well but ended up finding no winner in this race. Because both are exceptionally built and made up of quality material.
Steelcase did not compromise even a bit on any of these chairs and made them long-lasting. You can keep using them for years to come without an issue.
No matter, what environment you throw them in, they will survive and remain by your side to keep the work environment comfortable for you.
The Amia office chair comes with a warranty of 12 Years, and the Think office chair offers a warranty of 10 long years. This solid warranty offering also speaks in favour of their durability and reflects the trust of the manufacturer in their products.
Easy to Assemble
Assembling a chair can also become tricky for many users. Therefore, the Think chair comes fully assembled so you don’t have to worry about anything when receiving the chair.
As far as the Amia is concerned, it also comes almost assembled but you need to do certain adjustments and assembly to make it functional, which is fairly easy to do. The clear instruction helps you to put it together within 30 minutes.
The price of the chair depends on the configuration that you checked out with, It can go anywhere from 680$ to 1400$.
You will configure both of the chairs as per your need and preference, which makes a great difference in the pricing. But if you need the standard chairs that can be used comfortably for long hours, we have found the following configured chairs on amazon;
- Steelcase Amia Office Chair
- Steelcase Think Office Chair
And according to those prices, the Amia is reasonably priced and affordable, while giving the same features that you could get with the Steelcase Think chair.
Steelcase Amia vs. Think! Who’s the winner?
Steelcase Think and Amia both are built by the same brand with the same vision of serving customers only the premium quality, the best performing and long-lasting office chairs. Therefore, both of the chairs are not much different in the terms of quality.
If the quality is concerned, you can get any of them without hesitating at all. You won’t regret it ever.
Although, the Think chair is the more versatile and modern designed chair that leaves behind Amia when it comes to functionality and modernism. The Amia is more of a conventional chair with all the modern features integrated into it.
So which one to choose?
We are not going to state the winner here, as it differs from person to person depending on his needs, choices and budget.
You can keep an eye on your choices, need and budget and look at the offerings of both of the chairs and can choose the one that goes well with you.
This is what I would do if I had to choose one for myself;
- If comfort was my primary concern, I would go with Steelcase Amia
- If versatility was my primary concern, I would go with the Steelcase Think
- If Pricing was my primary concern, I would choose Steelcase Amia